Thursday, July 9, 2009

Name for our baby

I said I would share this when the time was right. Since, we never start thinking about baby names until I am well into my pregnancies, we didn't already have one picked out. So, when we found out that our baby had died, we knew we still wanted to select a name for him/her. I prayed really hard (kind of like I did with Isaac) that the Holy Spirit would reveal the name to me. Mark and I made a list of names and we went back and forth on several, though one name stood out from all the rest...Samuel. We each asked Sydney (on separate occasions) what name she thought we should choose and she told us each the same name...Baby Sam. Now, Samuel was one of the names we had considered for Isaac. Mainly because we had offered him up to God, whether he lived or died. In other words, if, by some miracle, he would have survived, we had made a promise to God that we would consecrate, or dedicate, him to the Lord. This promise was based on a passage from 1 Samuel 1:27-28, "I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." This was also the verse we had printed on Isaac's birth announcement. Anyway, being that we did not know the gender of this baby, and the fact that "Sam" could go both ways, Samuel still felt right. For some reason, we feel that this, too, was a baby boy. So, there you have it. Samuel. His Name is God.

1 comment:

  1. Samuel is a beautiful name for your baby, Jennifer! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete